About First State Bank
A Community Bank Since 1867
Our story is a long one – 150 years long – so we’ll keep it brief.
For 150 years, we’ve been an independent and locally-owned community bank serving the St. Charles and St. Louis residents and businesses.
What Makes Us Different?
- You’re treated as a person here and not a number. As a small, independent bank, we can operate on a smaller scale – meaning that you can get true personalized service. Have a question that needs a live person to answer? Call us and our receptionist will answer your call and direct you to the person in one of our St. Charles or St. Louis County branches who can answer your question. No automated menu of options required.
- Our ownership is shared only between local shareholders and our largest shareholder – bank employees. As an ESOP (Employee Stock Ownership Plan) company, our employees are part owners, so they hold a unique regard for the success of the bank and its customers.
- We are a privately-held company. Since we answer only to our employees and local, private stockholders, we can make decisions for the bank that are in the best interest of our customers.
- Since 1867, First State Bank has never been bought out by – or merged with – another bank. In the midst of intense competition and mergers and acquisitions of many small banks into larger national banks, we have fought to maintain our personal approach in the midst of this competitive landscape.
Please contact any of our locations for your personal or business financial needs. Contact Us
Meet Our Leadership Team
President & CEO
Executive Vice President, INVEST
Executive Vice President
Executive Vice President
Commitment to Our Community
As a community bank, our mission is to do more than provide products and services; it is also to be engaged in efforts to facilitate important projects that improve the quality of life for those who live and work in our region.
Here are some of the ways our staff and Board of Directors invest their time, knowledge and resources for the betterment of our region in countless ways:
- First State Bank provides charitable giving to over 50 local and national non-profit organizations each year.
- Our employees volunteer their time and talents serving on 32 local non-profit boards.
- First State Bank has joined forces with the St. Louis and Kansas City Equity Funds to commit to provide funding for safe, affordable housing projects in our region. Our annual investment in the Equity Fund assists in community development efforts for low- to moderate-income families in our area.
- We are committed to ensuring that all members of our community have equal access to our deposit and loan products. Through our Homeownership Fund Grant Program, qualified homebuyers with low-to-moderate income can receive a $2,000 grant to put towards down payment or closing costs.
First State Bank in the Spotlight
- “A Best Bank” (2014, 2015, 2016, 2017) – St. Louis Small Business Monthly
- Ranked as one of the top 100 healthiest community banks in the U.S. in 2014 (one of only three in the St. Louis area). “Three St. Louis-area banks rank among 200 Healthiest Community Banks in the U.S.” St. Louis Business Journal
- “Best Bank” (2010, 2011, 2013, 2015, 2016) – Best of St. Charles County Annual Readers Poll, St. Charles Suburban Journals and STLtoday.com
- “Best Loan Company” (2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016) – Best of St. Charles County Annual Readers Poll, St. Charles Suburban Journals and STLtoday.com
- “Best Financial Planners” (2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016) – Best of St. Charles County Annual Readers Poll, St. Charles Suburban Journals and STLtoday.com
- Employer of the Year – Jack Heck Award (2017); Employer of the Year (2009) – City of St. Charles